Now this is the question I get often from friends and colleagues alike. And frankly, I have to take a pause and ponder how to respond whenever I get this question.
You see, as a person with heart disease, I often have this chest discomfort or feelings of irregular heartbeat. I'm not sure if it's psychological but I do think there are many occasions where I feel my heart beating so strong I can almost hear it. Also, I frequently get this feeling of tightness across my chest or jabbing pains in my heart. But for some reasons, whenever I go for my regular check ups, the blood pressure would be perfect, the heart rate normal (or at most slightly elevated). There were no significant weird readings when I took the Holters test too...
I told the doctor about these episodes but he simply told me that there shouldn't be any cause for worries. So... I still think there's something no right, and perhaps I might just collapse from stroke suddenly sometime. It's quite unsettling I must say.
Am I paranoid?
It could be just psychological. Also, isn't it normal to sometimes have a very brief pain and then it's gone?
ReplyDeleteI sometimes have the same thing. A pain in the chest. Not severe, maybe 1 or 2 on a scales of one to ten. Very brief. Then it's gone. I think it's just normal?
Hey RB,
ReplyDeleteI don’t think it’s normal cos a healthy person shouldn’t feel any pains at all. For me, it’s more of 2-3 or 3-4 on a scale of 10. And when it happens, I do also experience other issues such as headaches and/ or breathlessness.
Jeffrey
Sometime could be the side effect of medication..
ReplyDeletePerhaps... perhaps... thanks for pointing it out. I should check with the doctors.
ReplyDeleteI assure you, you are not alone nor paranoid. Had ballooning years ago. Once awhile in bed, I could swear my heart pause and then start again within split seconds. Other times, I felt breathless suddenly when resting in bed. Had to sit up to breath normally to calm myself. At times I suddenly felt like a sharp pain at my chest near my heart.
ReplyDeleteUnlike you, kept all this to myself. Felt maybe I am being paranoid too. When I go for regular review, bp is perfect. In fact at one stage the doc even suggest to reduce my heart medication but I laugh it off saying it might not be possible as I am only on half a tablet and cutting to a quarter will be near to impossible. When she double checked, she agreed not to change.
Bottomline, I too paused & ponder when others asked how am I now. So I understand you. Not medical profession here so can't tell you it is normal but can tell you are not alone in this. Maybe once bitten twice shy. We tend to hear our heart more than others do because we ignored it once. So we are more prepared to act when the next wave come about. Or so I hope. Stay happy and healthy, mate.
Thanks! Appreciate the sharing and good to hear from you after all these while. Be well on your part too!
ReplyDeleteJeffrey