Thursday, 7 July 2005

Reflections of a Gay Singaporean

Just because I am gay, does it mean:

- I am a lesser person/inferior to straights?

- I am not able to contribute as effectively or productively (as compared to straights) to my office, my company, my society, my country?

- I will affect my offices' image?

- I am a sex craze/ fiend who engages in wild sex wontonly without any morality?

- I am more likely to use my status to force people, especially younger ones to have sex with me?

- I am more likely to be a paedophile?

- I am a criminal (that I engage in unnatural sex as deemed illegal under the penal code)?

- I am a threat?I am certain I AM NOT.

But alas, it is the homophobia that I guess we are all facing and the system (and the people running the system) who chose to hide behind this thing called `conservative society' that has failed to integrate us as part of the society.

And many of the questions I have asked perhaps reflects the warped perception of what a gay man is to most straight man/ woman alike in Singapore.

Admittedly, there are a small small minority of us who fall within some of the questions/ categories that I have questioned above, but that certainly cannot be used to generalise all of us. It's so unfair. Then again, what's fair in life. If you are the majority, you define the rules. And if you are the minority you will always be subjected to such discriminations.

Guess I will have to accept it as a way of life. You call this a defeatist approach/ attitude? No, I call this a realistic one. We cannot force a revolution or a change in mind set overnight in our country, much less a country where the people running the system are elected by the very people whose conservative thinking are reinforced and protected by the people running the system, kinda a vicious cycle... never-ending.

All the more, we must try to integrate and in the process help the society evolve. I am sure things will evolve. Only that the pace of this evolution may not be on our side, if we are using our life/youth as a unit of measurement. I may, in the end, not enjoy the ultimate open Singapore where gays and straights can coexist side-by-side without any fear or discrimination during my youth (I chose to think I am still young, or at least young at heart)/ my lifetime, but I will be happy as long as I know the country is moving in the direction and that it will eventually accept gays (GLBTs for that matter). It does not matter if this were to happen in the next or next next generations, as long as we get there.

Some reflections.

No comments:

Post a Comment