Monday, 16 June 2025

Dead inside

Over the last week, I’ve met numerous people across the spectrum of society and held conversations with many of them. Through these exchanges, it struck me how dead I feel inside personally, but I also came to realise a couple of things.

Firstly, we may belong to different rungs and segments of society, but we all have similar aspirations. These usually centre around the people who matter to us and what we live for - our purpose in life and what we find meaning in. This is an area that’s badly lacking for me. Admittedly, when push comes to shove, I find myself dead inside and ready to leave this world if my time is up. Is there a positive way to see this? Maybe there is. I need to search for the answer.

Secondly, in times of crisis, everyone finds their own ways to manage their fears and insecurities. Some turn to religion. Some get chatty in an attempt to find people they can identify and connect with. Many keep to themselves as they look ahead. Regardless, we need to identify our source of support and hope. I found solace in looking inward and meditating. It kept me going.

Thirdly, the simplest things in life are always taken for granted. It can be as simple as the joy of feeling a breeze, seeing the greenness of nature, or, for that matter, the ability to hold someone’s hand. I need to appreciate what I have, be mindful of the now, and be grateful for the experience of life.

Last but not least, not everyone sees others equally as human beings, and the outcome is that respect and dignity are accorded differently to different people. That is the reality of life. Most importantly, we just have to be at peace with ourselves and not react.

For me personally, I find myself getting introspective, not because I deliberately withdrew from people, but rather, I found peace when I look inwards, empty as it was - yet, on the other hand, I naturally reach out to help people navigate their thought processes to find their own peace. It’s a very natural thing for me to do. All this despite finding myself dead inside, with no sense of purpose, and very much willing to just let go and disappear from this world. 

I need to find my learning points from this experience. 

I’m not sharing this because I want concern or advice. I just needed to put it into words. Sometimes, saying things out loud - quietly and honestly - is enough. I’d be grateful if you could just hold space for that, without feeling the need to respond/ reach out.

No comments:

Post a Comment