Monday, 12 May 2025

Knife

“Knife” is one of my favourite songs from my secondary school days. I was really into it back then - it felt intense and emotional, and I would sing it like I meant every word. But funny enough, it never quite stuck with me over the years, not like how some other songs did.

For some reason, it came to mind today while I was listening to old songs on my phone, so I looked it up online. It felt nice to hear it again - and to sing along, of course. Strangely, I think this might be the first time I’ve really paid attention to the lyrics. I used to sing (or scream) this song whenever it came on the radio. And even now, I can still do it without thinking twice about the words. But honestly, I never quite took in the full extent of what the song was saying. Not until today. 

Thinking back, it’s odd how the lyrics never registered before. Maybe I just wasn’t ready to hear them. Years ago, I had romanticised parts of the lyrics during my breakups (that I had initiated) - even though the song’s about being dumped - and let it mess with me in all the ways possible. But listening to it now, after actually being dumped last year, I can say this about what I went through: I felt the loss and I did grieve. But definitely not in the way the song describes. In retrospect, maybe it was never a conventional relationship to begin with.

The truth is, I did love him - but maybe not in a romantic way. Or maybe he was just there to fill a void when we started, and through the years I was simply doing what I thought was my part. And just like the song, what once felt intense in the moment didn’t quite leave a lasting mark. Well, it doesn’t matter now. Whatever it was, I never felt the kind of heartbreak this song describes. 

It’s been a year, I’ve moved on. 

:-)



Knife
Rockwell (1984)

You touched my life 
With your softness in the night 
My wish was your command 
Until you ran out of love 
I tell myself I'm free 
Got the chance of livin' just for me 
No need to hurry home 
Now that you're gone 

Knife 
Cuts like a knife 
How will I ever heal? 
I'm so deeply wounded 
Knife 
Cuts like a knife 
You cut away the heart of my life 

When I pretend 
Wear a smile to fool my dearest friends 
I wonder if they know 
It's just a show 
I'm on a stage 
Day and night I go through my charades 
But how can I disguise 
What's in my eyes? 

Knife 
Cuts like a knife 
How will I ever heal? 
I'm so deeply wounded 
Knife 
Cuts like a knife 
You cut away the heart of my life 

Oh, oh 
Oh, oh, oh, oh 
Oh, oh, oh, oh 
Oh... 

I've tried and tried 
Blocking out the pain i feel inside
The pain of wanting you 
Wanting you 

Knife 
Cuts like a knife 
How will I ever heal? 
I'm so deeply wounded 
Knife 
Cuts like a knife 
How will I ever heal? 
I'm so deeply wounded 

You cut away the heart 
Of my life

No comments:

Post a Comment