I turned 58 yesterday. I had wanted it to be a quiet day of reflection and me-time. After all, it was to be my first birthday as a single person. But my birthday turned out to be more eventful than I thought. Here're some things that kinda shaped my birthday this year:
- I had a dinner treat from a friend on my birthday eve. I had not expect him to remember its my birthday but he did... so sweet of him. We ended the evening with a nice slow walk along the Changi Point park connector.
- I got a message from KS (a junior college friend of mine). He was my closest friend back then and we re-connected some 15-20 years ago. We have, since, exchange birthday and festive greetings annually. It always feel warm to get his messages.
- I received a "Happy Birthday" from my recent ex early in the morning. I half suspected he would do so and I graciously replied "Thank you". What I did not expect was his following message asking if I would be free for dinner this weekend. I did not reply. I may be gracious to thank him but I am not about to put myself through the experience of having to spend awkward moments with someone who chose to break off a relationship for his own self-centric reasons.
- The group of friends whom I mentioned about, the ones who gravitated to my ex after our breakup... well, they have arranged for a dinner this week. And despite turning them down politely, they have self-co-ordinated a time and insisted that I turn up for the dinner. I felt bad not to accept their invite.
- Received a large number of birthday greetings from friends, ex-colleagues, family and relatives, etc. Thankful they recalled my birthday although I must say it is not something I had expected as their wishes do not define our relationship. Then again, it just felt warm when I received their messages.
- An ex-military colleague, whom I do not know personally, had been sending me festive and birthday greetings annually without fail. I have always been curious why he makes the effort to do so as there was absolutely no reasons to do so. Then again, I have come to the point of accepting it as a norm now.
- There were a few who did not wish me, and I felt uneasy with their silence as they had been doing so without fail over the decades. One sent a belated greeting this morning and he explained that he had been busy with his mum's funeral that happened yesterday (which I kinda suspected), another mentioned he was sick, my second sis kept quiet (and I kinda expect her to be so cos I had boycotted and avoided her over the last 3 months), etc...
The above capped my 58th birthday. On the whole, it was a rather simple but nice and easy day with friends, hiking (and a nice birthday brunch treat) at the central catchment area, went for a medical review with my cardiologist, and had a nice evening with someone whom I just got to know not too long ago, etc. Perhaps that's what birthdays are supposed to be - no stress, just chill and do what appeals to me most.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!!
ReplyDeleteMany thanks for the wishes Rob! Wishing you a Blessed Christmas and a most joyous and fulfilling year ahead in advance too!
ReplyDelete