Sunday, 1 December 2024

My friends, his friends

I used to be very close to my ex-colleagues and their partners - we even called ourselves “family.” My ex-colleagues affectionately referred to me as “Baba,” and we spent almost every weekend together. We played mahjong, travelled, celebrated birthdays, and marked all the major festivities as a group. When my ex became part of my life, he naturally became an integral part of this “family.” We had a shared WhatsApp group that included all of us and our partners. Over time, due to their similar ages, my ex grew close enough to form a separate WhatsApp group with my ex-colleagues. 

When we broke up, I texted the group and asked them to support him since he was alone in the country. To give myself the space to grieve, I excused myself from the chat. Now, I am essentially no longer part of the group. My friends and their partners have largely distanced themselves and only reach out when they need something, like dog-sitting. From what I see on their Instagram stories, it’s clear they (and my ex) hang out regularly. In effect, I’ve lost my closest friends to him - a bitter pill to swallow. 

I feel hurt and betrayed, especially during moments of loneliness when I crave companionship. Perhaps the age gap between me and my ex-colleagues played a role after all. But I remind myself that this is an opportunity to explore what it truly means to be me. It’s a chance to rediscover myself and build new connections. It won’t be easy - it’s exhausting as an introvert - but it’s something I must do. Maybe 2025 can be my year to focus on rediscovering and re-establishing myself, both personally and professionally. 

P.S. Finding company for dinner every day isn’t easy, and it’s probably something many people take for granted.

4 comments:

  1. Geez. I feel your pain. 抱抱
    Harry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Harry.

    Just a reality of break ups where people gravitate to who they connect better with. And in this case, I believe age is a factor. My so called relationship with them was perhaps one sided after all. Just have to move along… it’s an opportunity to find new friends or, perhaps, rediscover the joys of being alone!

    And hey! It’s lovely to hear from you again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hugs

    I have encountered similar situations when I was ghosted after a 30 yr friendship. I left the gp chat. 1 continued to keep in touch with me, I don't. I ponder what has happened.

    After all we were friends for 30 yrs .

    In reality, there may not gave everlasting rs. It took me some time to move on. Certain movies , songs do made me think of him. Cos we were close during our teens, ns days. It's hard to move on. there's a reason for everything .

    I feel you.

    It takes 2 to clap. No more yuan, n it's pointless to cling on.

    Move on n do things you like .

    Jia you .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing KG. I can only say - 天下无不散之宴席

    ReplyDelete