The dog owner will be picking up the dog in an hour. Whew… it’s been three weeks and two dogs! What an interesting few weeks. The two dogs couldn’t be more different in temperament. The first was edgy and reactive, while the second has been gentle and calm. I'm grateful the second dog got along well with my tenant.
During the last week, I noticed how “clingy” the second dog is - his owner calls him “velcro” - because he follows the people in the house constantly. When I’m home, he sticks to me everywhere I go; when I’m out, he attaches himself to my tenant. I also discovered he cries when left alone. I found out one day when I came home to hear him howling, only stopping once I opened the door. The next day, my neighbour even mentioned it to me! These behaviours show he’s very insecure, and knowing he cries when left alone made me feel like I had to rush back every time I left the house.
Soon, this gentle giant will be on his way, and I'll finally be able to move around without worrying about a dog at home. But first, I need to clean up - mopping floors, clearing fur, and scrubbing drool stains - to get the place back in order before heading off to KL early tomorrow morning.
:)
Everyone in my neighborhood has a dog -- except for me.
ReplyDeleteIt's too much work. I travel a fair amount....what would I do with the dog? It's a bigger responsibility than people think.
Indeed so Rob. I totally agree with you on the part about "bigger responsibility than people think". While I agree with many that dogs provide the companionship, I also want to be a responsible owner and not end up leaving it at home over an extended period of time. I also want to give myself the freedom to be able to move about freely without worrying about leaving the dog along at home for too long, or have to make plans for someone else to look after the dog when I travel.
ReplyDelete