He moved into the guest room a day after he said he wanted to break off. And over the last month, he managed to find a place to move in to. He moved out of the house last morning. There are some big items that he left behind - his work desk, his chair, etc. He couldn't move them out as the new room he rented could not accommodate these items. Since then, I had spent a good part of the last 2 days clearing the room. I also took the opportunity to declutter some of my own stuff. Here're some things I noted:
- Decluttering a space is not as simple as it seemed.
- You do not just discard things and declutter just a space.
- You also end up rearranging a lot of things, and it includes things from other rooms.
- And very soon, you start to declutter the whole house.
- You think, reflect, reminisce as you pick through the items.
- Do I throw? Do I keep?
- It was a draining process, physically, and emotionally.
- You can remove, rearrange, discard many physical items but you cannot remove the memories associated with the items.
- I ended up revisiting memories of my past - him, my mum, my maid, etc
- Memories from the distant past are warm and sweet.
- Memories from recent past are more complex and raw...
Recent and distant memories of many things and different people from the past came to mind, all at the same time. The emotions was very complex. I was neither happy, sad, nor disappointed. But I reminded myself to just keep focus and clean. I supposed discarding things help me move on as it reminded me of the finality and impermanence of things.
I think so much...
It's a hard process, but I hope you feel better afterwards. Like a cathartic process.
ReplyDelete"I think so much..." Me too. Your own thoughts can be your worst enemy if you let them. It's hard to control them. I need to post on this topic.
Hi Rob,
ReplyDeleteYes, indeed. It’s cathartic in all sense. Am much better now. Altho once a while, there’s the tendency to feel I’ve been made used of. But I need to consciously remind myself to move on and to be thankful for the positive memories and the time spent together. Thanks again for dropping by and commenting.
Much appreciated.
Jeffrey
Hi Jeff,
ReplyDeleteAlways enjoy reading yr posts. I do agree decluttering is not easy, alot of emotions are attached to it.
It's never easy to let go and move on. We re humans after all.
But then, seasons change and we have to let go and its time to make new memories.
Regards
Kg
Thanks kg, am at a much better place now, altho once a while, I still feel angry about it.
ReplyDelete