I strongly believe some one wanted to cheat me and that I would have been scammed had I not been observant. Here's the story...
Couple of days back, somebody texted me in Grindr. Now, I don’t usually reply people as my main reason to be in Grindr is to know who’s around me. But for some reasons, I replied him. He seemed like a friendly enough guy. And that’s how the conversation with this person started. He’s a very decent person, sane, sorted and friendly. He said he's Korean, grew up alone in S Korea after his both parents passed away. He was brought up by his grandmother and had a happy childhood etc... he said he was educated in NYU and is now working in Singapore on a 2-year contract. He added he works in Tuas (western end of Singapore) and is an engineer in the oil rig industry etc. He then requested for my whatsapp number, which I gave. I got a text from him using a US number with a 917 area code. I thought it was weird that he didn’t use a local number since he’s been working for over a year here but didn’t asked further.
The conversation went along well. He would text me in the morning, disappear for the day and text me again in the evenings. And each time he text, he would send me his pics. Thought this behavior was weird. Two days into the conversation, his profile in my Grindr disappeared. I asked him about it but he didn’t answer. And the next morning, he said he might be activated to Dubai as they had some issues there. A few hours later, he texted me with a pic of him, saying he had just arrived at Dubai and was gonna take a shower. Now, this was when I started to suspect this chap. Firstly, traveling during this lockdown period is almost never heard of. I google about travel arrangements into Dubai and noted that although they are out of the lockdown period, they are still very restrictive to international biz travelers. And because I had been Dubai before, I know exactly the challenges of making traveling arrangements to get there. My suspicion started to grow but I didn’t pursue further.
The conversation went along well. He would text me in the morning, disappear for the day and text me again in the evenings. And each time he text, he would send me his pics. Thought this behavior was weird. Two days into the conversation, his profile in my Grindr disappeared. I asked him about it but he didn’t answer. And the next morning, he said he might be activated to Dubai as they had some issues there. A few hours later, he texted me with a pic of him, saying he had just arrived at Dubai and was gonna take a shower. Now, this was when I started to suspect this chap. Firstly, traveling during this lockdown period is almost never heard of. I google about travel arrangements into Dubai and noted that although they are out of the lockdown period, they are still very restrictive to international biz travelers. And because I had been Dubai before, I know exactly the challenges of making traveling arrangements to get there. My suspicion started to grow but I didn’t pursue further.
The next day (yesterday) he send me a text in the morning saying he will be going out to do some site survey. It was weird cos in Dubai's time, it would be 4-ish in the morning and doing site survey at 4-5am doesn’t make sense. And a couple of hours later, he send me quite a few pics of his boat trips. The pics was quite a surprise frankly, and I entertained him and continued chatting with him. Still feeling suspicious, I asked which hotel he is staying in and he said Grand Hyatt. It was weird that a person would be put up in a 5-star hotel during a company trip. Anyway, the conversation has started getting a little uncomfortable for me as he had started addressing me Baby, Honey and what have you. I wanted to test this guy further and asked him for his last name. He said it was Cheung. And this was a total giveaway. Cheung is a cantonese surname. Koreans don't use Cheung. Koreans use Jung. But well, I kept quiet.
Today, he texted me again and tell he bought some gifts for me and asked me for my address. I rejected him and told him if he is keen on being friends, I would prefer for it not to involve any gifts. He said I made him look stupid. In response, I told him I expect him to respect me and my wishes to keep things simple and with no gifts involved. He pressed hard but I refused. In the end, he relented. I knew how this conversation is gonna go and was ready for it. I went on to google his area code 917 in NYC and learned that it's an old area code started in the 90s. It is not issued to new applicants. He claimed to be 35 years old and it would not be possible for him to have studied there in the 90s. Some minutes later, he send me another text, asking me to purchase iTunes USD500 Apple e-Card or something and send it to him... so yeah, this is the final straw.
I blocked him.
Sadly there are a lot of those people on ALL dating sites
ReplyDeleteAnd this NYC person... he should have done his homework better! Lol!
ReplyDeleteI had a similar experience as yours but we only exchanged LINE id. This was before COVID, he claimed he was Korean and worked in Singapore. He has to travel to US for work occasionally. After photo exchanges and conversation, he started calling me "Babe" and "Honey". Then he wanted to send me a gift, saying that it was from the US, and asked for my address. I refused as I wasn't comfortable with receiving a gift and giving out my address to someone I had never met before and hardly knew. He tried to persuade me but I refused. Then he ranted that why is it so difficult to get people's addresses. Anyway, I blocked him after that.
ReplyDeleteLots of other scams going on in dating apps, such as buying gift cards (Alipay, iTunes, etc), investing in stocks through a platform or buying bitcoin/cryptocurrencies. Anyone reading this, be on your guard.
Wow... sounds v similar indeed.
ReplyDeletePerhaps we have the same US number! Lol. Yeah, thankful that I had been careful.
Please be well and safe!
Jeffrey
there're so many profiles now on tinder of chinese scammers—all claiming to have relocated from hong kong, mainland and more recently, singapore. lol.
ReplyDeleteit's a good thing you didn't fall for the lure of gifts. i used to work in credit card fraud and the amount of people who fall for gift card scams is honestly very shocking. the saddest part is that they're all mostly senior citizens. )=
Lovely to hear from you again! Hope you’ve been keeping well.
ReplyDelete