Monday, 27 January 2020

nCoV - Wuhan Virus

The situation has escalated over the last couple of days and it’s unprecedented to see China closing down and isolating city after city. And online, I see people blaming Chinese people and saying a lot of unpleasant things. I even see people suggesting some conspiracy on the part of the communist government to use this virus to attack some foreign governments yadda yadda yadda... these comments reflect on the individuals more than anyone else. Not helpful at all. I’m glad the Chinese government is working hard to arrest the spread of this virus.

At home, I have people politicizing this whole virus thing and blaming the Singapore government on everything from causing the virus to spread to Singapore by having an open economic policy and tourism to implementing measures that they felt were not effective. Quite sickening especially when I can sense some of these posting are deliberately made to cause panic and to discredit the local authorities. To make matters worst, I also see people simply forwarding messages and WhatsApp wantonly and exclaiming “OMG” repeatedly without first verifying the authenticity of the information or the credibility of the source... signs of panic. And not helpful at all too!

No comments:

Post a Comment