Sunday, 14 April 2019

Bad Road Behaviours

I really suspect this bad road behaviour is only found in Singapore, judging from the frequency of me experiencing it - it's rushing forward to deny someone from filtering when he/ she signals his/ her intent, or worst - bullying a person after he had successfully filtered. It's very frustrating. And whenever it happened to me, I will never give up the chance to respond to the person. This uncle is ok to take the challenge. Here's what happened today... 

I was on the expressway heading home. I was in the middle lane and as the car in front of me was a tat slow, I decided to overtake it. I checked my rear mirror and noted there was a car a distance back. The car was travelling at a speed that was about the same as mine. I decided it was safe to filter and signalled my intent. And once I did so, the driver of the car increased his speed. As he was quite a distance away, I managed to successfully filter out. He was still a couple of car lengths behind me. He must have felt unhappy for he started flashing his high beam at me repeatedly as he picked up speed even more and began tailgating me. He continued flashing his high beam as he did so... wtf! 

I didn't take such behaviours lightly. It was not like as though I had filtered and cut into his path dangerously at near proximity. And after filtering successfully, I was not even road hogging - I was going at slightly more than 100kmph! So I did what I thought would make him stop his bullying - I stepped onto my brake hard (hard enough to scare the person but in a controlled manner to avoid a collision). My action was aimed at startling him and I knew I achieved my aim for his car pulled away from me very quickly. But once he recovered from his startle, his bullying continued.  He picked up speed again and kept quite close to me. I continue tapping my brake and, in the process, slowed down to almost 70kmph. By now, he knew I was not to be messed with. I suspected he panicked as he slowed further and now kept a considerably large distance behind me. I waited for him to overtake from my left but he didn't. It was clear he was afraid.

I continued at 70kmph at the outermost lane for the next km or so and he kept a far distance behind me. When I eventually filtered to exit the highway, he gingerly increased his speed and drove pass me. I stared at him but he didn't dare look at me. He's a young nerdy-looking bespectacled driver no more than in his late-20s. And he was driving a new car no older than a month or two old, judging from his car's registration plate. WTH, bloody ball-less road bully trying to play the fool with me. I would have played with him till he ended his journey, but no... it was not worth it. Enough just to make him panic and teach him a lesson. 

(as I typed the above, I also concluded that I myself was not behaving well... heh heh)

4 comments:

  1. I don't know what it is about driving that seems to bring out the worst in people......

    harry

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seemed to see it more frequently for people in the mid-20s to the mid-40s age group. And all of them are male.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shouldn't be teaching U this but it's still safer than that jam brake trick that U used.

    If a car tailgate U (so close that U cannot see his no. plate from the rear mirror) at high speed (> 70km/hr) . Try a 1 time windscreen cleaning (where the car spray some water and wipe a few time and stop). At that distance and speed, the water will fly and lad on the windscreen behind (Guaranteed). The car behind will experience a sudden splatter of water on his windscreen which will startled him to slow down before he realised what happen. If there is a 2nd time, he will get the message clear enough.

    Evil me (Wink)
    Yip

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wahhhh! Good one! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete