Monday, 27 October 2025

Health over Vanity

The thing about losing weight over a relatively short period of time is that you end up with flabby skin all over the body - and you begin to look a little gaunt and haggard. This is made more pronounced by the fact that I’m nearing 59, and the body at this age is technically breaking down faster than it is building up. 

Just four months ago, I weighed around 73 to 74 kg. Over this period, I’ve increased my exercise intensity, been very selective with what I eat - focusing on fibre and proteins - and cut down significantly on carbohydrates. When I stepped on the scale this morning, it read 63.5 kg. That’s a loss of more than 10 kg in just four months. 

The downside? Flabby skin - on my thighs, arms, and even my face. I suppose my skin simply couldn’t tighten up as fast as my body was shedding its layer of fat. But on the bright side, I’m in perfect health now. Physically, I can do 300 push-ups without much difficulty, along with crunches and planks. My blood pressure averages around 115/75, and my pulse rate sits comfortably between 65 and 75. Recent faecal and prostate cancer marker tests showed no abnormalities, and even the number of kidney stones has gone down. 

So yes, putting vanity aside, I should really celebrate my perfect health. Then again, as much as my big head says "it’s not about how tight the skin is - it’s about how strong and well the body feels inside"; my small head whispers "aiyoh, I am no longer glam and attractive!" (not that I've ever been glam lah! haha). 

6 comments:

  1. That is a very significant weight loss. Maybe you've gone too far -- 63.5 kg is pretty low. Maybe go into a maintenance mode now. Boost your protein intake and focus on muscle building. If you can do 300 pushups (is this a typo?) you must be very strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 300 is correct Rob. But it’s done over a period of 1-1.5hrs and not continuously. Am looking at building muscle mass while targeting a weight of 62kg.

      Delete
  2. 10 kg in 4 months is a lot. Maybe some more detail on how you did it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ben,

      I walk, do push ups, crunches, planks, etc daily and most importantly, I cut down on my carbo and take lots of fibre and proteins. I also stopped snacking and if I really need to, have a banana or an apple. Key is to go on a calorie deficit to allow burning of fats and build muscles.

      To add, I started small for my exercises (eg 20 push ups) and gradually increase with time as I got used to it. During initial periods, cut down carbs as much as possible to burn fats but increase it eventually so that the body don’t end up breaking down the proteins.

      Last but not least, hydrate well and have proper rest daily.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Is it? Oh… if it is, it was certainly not something I planned on… truth be told, I started cos I was tired of rice and simply decided to cut down but when I saw the results, I decided that I should be more deliberate and scientific about it and I started to focus on calorie counts and overall nutrient balance.

      Delete