Without realising it, we have less than 4 months before 2025. It is also a good time to consolidate key happenings for this year so I don’t have to think too hard when Dec comes knocking. I had set off to keep healthy and to reinvent myself this year. So let's take a look at how far I have progressed.
Self-care & Health
- Let's start off with mental well-being - on the whole, I thought I’d managed this relatively ok, apart from the set-back as a result of the break-up
- I was able to sustain a decent level of social engagement
- I maintained my desire to head out for oversea breaks at least once a month
- I sustained my minimum 10K steps a day (current average steps clocked per day this year stands at 17.7K)
- Regrettably, there was a couple of unfortunate major sickness esp over the last month resulting in the need to visit the A&E (ED) department twice
Coaching
- This is possibly my biggest achievement for the year
- I had completed all 3 training modules, thereby fulfilling the required training hours needed
- Also, have completed 2 out of the 3 mentoring sessions and passed all markers required
- I should complete the last mentoring session in 2 weeks
- Had also completed 128 hours of coaching thus far
- This is more than the minimum 100 hours required but I continued to coach so I can keep my skills warm and to work towards the next level of accreditation
- I should be able to sit for the credentialing exams by end-Sep/ early-Oct once I finished my final mentoring session
- I have not decided how I will build on this after my certification, but I do think building a coaching business is a possible option for me
- I can decide on this after I pass the exams
Training
- I managed to successfully sign up as an associate trainer with 2 companies
- So far, I have yet to start conducting any training given the need for preparatory activities
- I expect the training proper should happen before year-end
- By next year, I would have gotten a good feel of what to expect and I should be able to stabilise this aspect of my life
- More importantly, being able to train will also allow me to re-establish a way where I can generate an income source in a more sustainable manner
Professional
- I had set up a company earlier this year. The intent behind it was to allow me the options to either make a business out of it, or at least to leverage it for payment purposes in time to come
- I got myself credentialed as a senior certified professional with the Society for HR Management
- This is a requirement set by one of the training company as a pre-requisite before I can conduct their HR-related programmes
The above were directly related to my health and well-being as well as reinventing myself. I must add that when I said I wanted to reinvent myself, it was in the context of work. But 2024 saw me being "reinvented" in more ways than just work, especially in my personal life. These changes had directly impacted me in all ways, especially in my well-being. But positively, it allowed me to channel my energies into reinventing myself. Here're the details.
Personal life
- Had an unfortunate break up after close to 7 years when he decided to move on to focus on his personal priorities
- Have since been avoiding him in an attempt to give myself the space to heal and to grow
- Notably, some of my closer friends gravitated towards him and I am somewhat left stranded
- It had been 4 months and it was the longest time since coming out where I was single and not attached
- Loneliness can be a real bitch and when it hits, it hits really hard
- But positively, this void forced me to look elsewhere to expand my circle of friends, e.g., via social apps like Grindr, which I met with varying successes
- I also made the efforts to re-establish connections with some older contacts
- It also gave myself the freedom to visit gay haunts and to indulge in things I would normally not do (let's leave it at that)
- Above all, it allowed me to channel some good energies into coaching and this kept me sane during the immediate periods after my break-up
Family
- I managed to maintain close and warm relationship with my paternal side relatives with regular calls and occasional dinner get togethers
- Had maintained a somewhat warm relationship with my eldest sister & her family with an invitation to my nieces' housewarming
- For my second sis, the year started off relatively well but the relationship took a dive especially after she badly handled the sourcing of a tenant for me (I am pretty pissed off with her tbh)
- Will let things be for now and go with the flow
Others
- I had sold off my car, after more than 3 decades of driving
- Managed to get a decent price for it with minimal loss, and that's good
- Objectively speaking, it does not make financial sense to hold on to it now that I am alone and public transport is easily accessible from my place
- I had also managed to get a tenant
- Trying to get used to staying with a stranger as of now and tbh, I myself seemed like a tenant in my own home, at least for now
- But positively, it does give me a source of passive income
The above is a consolidation of my 2024 thus far. Looking at it, I think I have done quite a bit although it seemed like I am quite free and quite chill this year... LOL. Or is this just my way of self-consolation? But back to my aim of keeping healthy and well, and reinventing myself. Have I achieved it? I think to a large extend, I have kept to it. Some things are beyond my control (e.g. break-up and falling sick), but for the parts about reinventing myself, I think I am moving in the right direction.
Let's not be too harsh on myself. All's good for now, that's my conclusion.
Wow, this is a great "mid-year assessment" of your life. Something I should do. You really had well established goals, and it's great that you achieved them!
ReplyDelete:-) lovely to "hear" from you again Rob! Hope you've been well. Writing down and consolidating my thoughts helps me learn about myself and most importantly, keeps me grounded and focused on what I want to work on for the year.
ReplyDeleteThanks for dropping by!