Monday, 25 July 2022

Kidney Stones

I have a history of kidney stones and will visit the urologist regularly to check on the state of my kidneys. In this post, I want to capture the outcomes of my recent visit to the urologist. You see, I had brought forward the review of my kidney stones from Sep to Jun 2022 as I had experienced a consistent pain at my back just at where my right kidney is located. Following the visit, I was scheduled to undergo a CT scan of my kidneys (and areas around it). Here's the results.

Right kidney: There was a slight increase in size of the stone since the last review (that was done 2 years ago). Otherwise, the stone had remained in the same position near the opening into the ureter and had not moved. There is an appearance of another stone. This stone is small and is located deep in the kidney. 

Left kidney: It showed the appearance of a very small stone - 1mm or less. Similar to the stone in the right kidney, it is located deep in the kidney.

The urologist concluded that the pain I had experienced was unlikely due to the kidney stones. He said that based on the size and location of the stones (particularly the 2 located deep in the kidneys), they will possibly stay there and not cause any trouble. He added that there is also a likelihood of them being flushed out given the smallness of their size. As for the larger stone in the right kidney, I can opt to get it removed if I am keen but his view is that it will likely stay put (as it had not moved) and not cause any troubles. But I do have to continue drinking lotsa water. So... yeah, everything looks good for now and I had decided to keep things as they are. 

PS: Interestingly, the pain I had experienced had disappeared too. Apart from the kidneys, the scan also showed normal stomach size, prostate gland, bladder, etc... :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment