Sunday, 5 June 2022

it's June 2022

What probably shaped the first half year was the gradual opening up of the country, and my sabbatical. As things open up, travels resumed, religious practises returned (I did my 3-step-1-bow again after 2 years!), routines were adjusted, etc. and with the start of my sabbatical, I have the time to do and revisit things I have never done before... let me cover a couple of aspects of my life here and I shall start off with my health and well-being, given that it is something I have wanted to focus on this year.

Health 

As a follow-up from the health scare in Dec 21, I saw the cardiologist in Jan 22 and was put through a series of tests. The cardiologist said all results were "within normal range" and that there were nothing that I should be too concerned about. Nonetheless, I noted there was a small anomaly seen in the ECG - something that I did not see in my previous ECGs. I decided that I should take things slow and not over-exert myself (especially after my burn-out experience in 2021).  Not long after, I caught COVID-19 in the last week of Jan 22. It was quite an uncomfortable period as my partner had returned to his home country. Thankfully, my sister and friends banded and supported me through the period when I was quarantined, delivering food to me. I emerged from the quarantine relatively well. I experienced a prolonged period of coughs, sore throat and sinus but these were generally not too debilitating thankfully. Apart from this, the usual body pains and aches continued to feature and these, I supposed, were part of my ageing process. I have continued with my usual daily walks to keep well and have also started swimming occasionally.

Work

I was so close to resigning late last year but had taken the advice of a colleague-turned-friend who suggested that I should take a sabbatical instead. This would allow me time to rest before I explore my professional journey ahead. To be fair to the company and my team, I continued to push through the annual planning and budgeting process and complete the annual employee appraisal before I start my sabbatical on 1 Apr. I have applied for a 6-month sabbatical and will be away from work until end-Sep 22. I needed to do this to recuperate (from my burn-out), to get away from my toxic work environment, to review my career options and to let my heart have a breather. My big boss has promised that I would be reporting to a different person when I return, and that I would assume a different port-folio. Frankly speaking, I have not decided if I should go back. In the meantime, I am just taking things slow and living a semi-retired life. Told myself I owe myself time to just chill and relax and not think about anything else. I have, since the start of my sabbatical, met up with a couple of ex-colleague-turned-friend who shared their thoughts about my career directions moving ahead (e.g. should I go back to my corporate life, or should I start all over). I greatly appreciate their views and will review my options closer to Jul/ Aug period.

Partner/ Family

My partner went back to his home country several times over the last half year. The first trip was an extended one that lasted over 2 months from end-last year to mid-Feb 22. It had been quite a while since I lived alone and for so long and, I supposed, allowed me the space to reflect on what it means to live alone (e.g. my daily routines). On hindsight, I thought that was quite a refreshing period for me. Family-wise, things are as normal as it can possibly be. The usual checking-ins, sharing of food, etc. Have also made the effort to pass the bak chang to my eldest sis - my first visit to her home since 2014 (or even longer). Other than that, I had also attempted to visit my uncle in Taiping in Feb 22, only to find the place deserted, gates lock and with overgrown weeds. I suspect my uncle might have passed on. 

Friends

Generally, been keeping in contact with friends. There have been some tensions with a couple of them (one to be exact) but generally, I have maintained contact with my circle of closer friends. The opening up of the society recently also meant there are less house visits. Gatherings these days are largely done over dinners in eateries/ restaurants. I have also made efforts to reach out to some old friends and am glad to know they are all well and good.

Home

Have done much changes to the house this year with a minor renovation done (much belated and delayed). Got the house repainted, doors repainted and the parquet fully polished, Decided against polishing the marble as many of the tiles had "popped". In addition, installed shelves to better organise the washing machine/ laundry space, digital lock for the main door, changed the living room furniture etc... so, yeah, lotsa changes to the home. Thought the outcome was really good and it felt new. This will probably last me the next few years until it is time for me to transition to public housing when I retire.

Hobbies

I have, especially since the start of my sabbatical, started revisiting some old hobbies. I have organised a small garden and have started growing plants such as Mexican mint, money plants, and some other ornamentals. The plants certainly provide a good use of my time and it's really lovely to see the plants thrive and grow. Occasionally, I will also do some handicraft (e.g. macrame) for my friends. 

Trips

I am starting to travel again with the first few trips taken to Malaysia. The first trip was in Feb 22. It was my first trip out of the country since the lock down and was an interesting one given the many additional tests, procedures, etc. The second trip occurred just when I started my sabbatical. As the land borders had opened and we could travel without pre-departure test, I decided to drive all the way to Penang and back. That was probably one of the longest drive I had taken in recent times - 1300km in total! Apart from that, I have also travelled to Johor for the weekend. Am looking forward to my extended holiday in Jul/ Aug 22 where we will be heading off to UK.

So yeah, the above kinda captured my first 6 months of 2022. It had passed by so quickly. The last 2 months were rather interesting. I didn't expect myself to feel stressed but that was how I felt - I was uneasy as I was suddenly faced with too much time at hand. I have since gotten used to it. Objectively, the sabbatical have allowed me to do almost nothing related to work and focused on myself, my home, my friends, and to reconsolidate my life (finances, insurance, etc). I have about 4 months more for my sabbatical. 

Let's see where it takes me...

8 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that you're ok. Sabbatical is a great idea. I wish I could do that.

    When do you plan to make the sabbatical permanent?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jeffrey,

    It's great hearing from you.

    I'm glad you are prioritizing self-care. You are a wise man.

    Best regards, Edwin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Rob,

    It is a choice I made to drop everything and take a break. What held me back previously was my team and the thoughts of not having a salary during the sabbatical. But ultimately, I thought it is important to prioritise myself over work and other people. Been great thus far and I am weighing my options currently. But not working is certainly a choice I can ill afford to take currently. I believe we are about the same age range, having some years to go before retirement and weighing options with regards when we should/ can stop work... or for that matter, do something lighter and with a lower pay.

    Hope you have been well. Asia is opening up and many places are business-as-usual. So, perhaps you can start to plan a trip now. Am sure it will do great for your well-being. Thanks for sharing your thoughts constantly. Much appreciated.

    Take care!


    Jeffrey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Edwin,

    It's really lovely to get a note from you. Been such a long time and I do occasionally wonder how you are doing, especially with the pandemic and all. Hope all's well on your end.

    Have a great one!


    Jeffrey

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm considering what I call "down shifting." Taking an easy, no stress, but lower paying job. This will pay the bills and keep me with medical insurance. It will tremendously improve my quality of life. I cannot do my current job for more than two more years. It will kill me.

    Yes....my Asia trip is booked. I'm excited!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Rob,

    Enjoy your trips! Great idea to extend a week to visit Spain. Have fun in Asia!
    Best,

    Jeffrey

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,

    Am pleasantly surprised to see you post update again after so long. Have been reading your post for quite a while and was kinda worried when you didn't update for a while.

    Enjoy your sabbatical, use it to travel and get everything in order.

    I await more exciting updates!

    From "I have the same name" 😊

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey “I have the same name” (Jeffrey ;-))

    Thanks for reading and the lovely wishes!
    Much appreciated! Wishing you all the very best too!


    Jeffrey

    ReplyDelete