Today, people of Central Asia descent the world over commemorate dōngzhì (冬至) or the winter solstice - the shortest day of the year, coinciding with the deepest day of winter. And we do so by eating the humble glutinous rice balls and for many families, it's a time for reunions too. After today, the world will gradually warm, culminating in the arrival of spring and the Lunar New Year celebrations.
And here's a little urban myth - many believe that if it rains today, it will not rain on the first day of the lunar new year. I am not sure how true this is, although this is what I observed too. Ha! Anyway, I wish everyone warm and glad tidings as we commemorate this day where we pass the coldest point of winter! I am pretty sure things will get better next year.
😘
No comments:
Post a Comment