Monday, 14 September 2020

Scope Review

I went for the review of the gastric scope I did sometime back. So I have what the doctors called intestinal metaplasia. The doctor said it is not something I should be too worried about now but said it could possibly develop into stomach cancer eventually. Then again, it might not. So she suggested I consider doing another scope 3 years down the line. Separately, I was asked if I would be keen to be part of the hospital's research on this condition, which I agreed. 

I got a call from the research office a couple of hours later. The co-ordinator explained all the stuff I would be subjected to for the studies that will stretch over the next 5 years. These include blood extraction and tests, more regular scoping (as early as next year) to see the condition and to determine the deterioration rate, and should it develop into cancer, they will treat me early. The co-ordinator added that if detected early, stomach cancer can be cured. Also, she added that I will also be regularly reviewed and if the condition improve, I might be removed from the program... 

So yeah... this is what I've agreed to. Let's see how things go.

4 comments:

  1. Endoscopy stomach scoping....fun. I've had this like 10+ times. Not sure I would even want to be paid to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha RB, I wouldn't call it fun per se. But optimistically, it does provide me some time to take a rest from work. Hope you've been well! Counting down to Nov 2.


    Jeffrey

    ReplyDelete