Have the opportunity to attend the Chingay Parade 2020, much thanks to my friend’s offer of 2 tickets. Was indeed wowed by the kaleidoscope of colours that splashed in front of us. And of cos, was glad the classic Chinese traditional giant flags, lion dance, dragons etc were included in the parade. It was after all a celebration of the Chinese culture. There were also quite a few other performances that I felt didn’t really fit in. These include the performances showcasing international culture such as those from Thailand, Japan as well as from Russia. Including these performance really watered down the whole Chineseness of the parade (which was supposed to be for Lunar New Year).
Don’t get me wrong, these performances were really great except that I felt it didn’t really fit in into the context. I’ve had this huge debate with a friend a couple of years back and she defended Peoples’ Association (PA) (the organiser) approach. After all, she was from PA. So... anyway, I do understand PA’s agenda to need to bring people of different cultures together. Perhaps if organised this way, it should be better done as part of the National Day celebrations. As for Chingay, they should then let some Chinese-based organisation organise it to celebrate the Chinese culture in its whole glory. But let’s leave this to the organizers, I’m sure they have their reasons. I’m just here to enjoy the parade.
Here’s some photos to share.






A little more background on this would be helpful. A gay event? In Singapore? It looks like a major event.
ReplyDeleteHey RB
ReplyDeleteYou can read it here:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chingay_parade
:-)
Jeffrey