Tuesday, 9 July 2019

Aging Doctor

I've seen Dr Kong for as long as I can recall. I also understood from my late-mum that he operated on me when I was 5 years old. That was almost 5 decades ago. Dr Kong runs a clinic in Marine Parade since 1974 and he's been well-regarded by many in the neighbourhood for his friendliness. He has, over the years, seen many families and has earned the title of "family doctor" for many. Many continued to return to Marine Parade to see him even after they moved out of the estate. I am one of them. 

Dr Kong is in his 80s now. In recent times, I noticed his increasing frailty. He still runs his clinic but occasionally, his son, who is also a medical practitioner, will stand in for him. I also suspect his memory is beginning to fail him. He now shows signs of forgetfulness. And I say that because I went to see him over the weekend and instead of addressing me by my English name (like how he had done over the last 5 decades), he addressed me by my chinese name (as shown in my medical record card). It was weird. I related this incident to the clinical assistant and they also shared that this happened to another lady patient.

Signs of time and aging.

No comments:

Post a Comment