Saturday, 18 May 2019

It’s an age thing?

Lately, a long time friend of mine was warded for minor op. Apparently, the doctors found a small growth on his throat and advised him to remove it. And that was what he did. A biopsy was done and it was confirmed that it's cancerous. A second op was arranged to remove his thyroid immediately and after a week, he was discharged.

I was quite affected when I learned about this development. I had known him since 1980 and he has never had any issues with his health. For that matter, he has never been hospitalised! So this sudden development took me by surprise. Added to this, I visited my second sis and found her hands and legs  covered with raw sores. Apparently, the sores had started appearing since Jan 19 and has now spread to her whole body. The only area that is still not affected is her face. The doctors had ran quite a few tests but found nothing. They just couldn't make sense out of it!

It's not pleasant, but I can only conclude that people my age/ generation are falling ill... and of cos, it didn't help that coincidentally the papers published an article about how people in my generation are generally weaker compared to that of my parents generation - judging from the number of people that suffers 3 or more chronic illness.

Signs of times. I must brace myself for more such news and personally, I must remind myself to face aging bravely and just embrace whatever comes by.

Bring it on!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jeffrey,

    The old saying is "growing old isn't for the weak". I used to think that meant a strong will to live, but I've expanded to include a strong stomach for how our bodies can go wrong and what it can take to repair them.

    Sorry for the illnesses in your circle.

    Best wishes, Edwin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Edwin

    I’ve come to embrace it, then again, I cannot help but feel a little uncomfortable and get reminded that age is catching up. It’s a sobering journey. And yes, like it or not, we will have to face it (stare at it) in the face and age gracefully.

    As always, it’s nice to hear from you! Hope you’ve been well!


    Jeffrey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jeffrey,

    I'm doing well. Staying busy.

    My youngest niece just had her first baby. My newest grand-niece is adorable (aren't they all ;-) The cycle of life goes on.

    Yes, it is important to age gracefully although we should never forgot or try to deny we still carry all of the ages we've lived within us. Sometimes, the 18 yo me has a surprise when seeing the now me in the mirror ;-)

    Best regards, Edwin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Edwin! Congrats for the arrival of a new addition to the extended family!

    :-)

    Jeffrey

    ReplyDelete