Monday, 20 October 2025

Judging a Person

Something a friend shared which resonates deeply with me. He said:

My dad used to tell me not to judge a person’s worth by the number of connections or friends he has when he is alive. Instead, judge his worth by the number of persons who attend his funeral when he leaves the world.

This story made so much sense to me. It reinforces the point that one’s value depends on how one is able to support and help people. It also reminds me of advices like - what do you want your eulogy to sound like? How do you want to be remembered? But of cos, we don’t do all these for the sake of wanting to be remembered but to do with all our heart and belief that we want to help and support people!

4 comments:

  1. When my mum passed away, my dad's friends and ex-business partners all attended her funeral. I did not know that my dad has so many friends who are still keeping in touch even though he stays at home most of the time when he retired.

    I guess his years of being kind and helpful to people have come to fruition when we were in the desperate time in need. Til now, he still attends friends' gathering just to stay in touch.

    I wonder if I ever will be him with many friends and acquaintances . I have less than 2 friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey hey, we can always start now. If not now, when? Most importantly, if our heart is in the right place, we will have great blessings!

      Happy Deepavali!

      Delete
  2. I'm in partial agreement with this. Often good people will have a big crowd at their funeral.

    Trump, Bezos, Musk -- they will have big crowds at their funerals. But they are not good people.

    The quiet introvert who lived life being respectful and helpful, but didn't make a lot of solid connections with others, won't have so many people at their funeral, but they are still a good person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Rob! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

      Delete