I have a real story to share.
- I have known this person for a long while
- He was a devout person (to his religion and god)
- He was diagnosed with cancer 2 years back and his health deteriorated over time
- The last time I met him 2 months back he was already bedridden
- He told me he resented and had given up on his god for cursing him with such a disease
- Nonetheless, through this difficult period, his wife continued to do the necessary rituals of praying and blessing him daily
- She held strongly that god’s love is unconditional and whatever is happening is fated and that he must walk this path as destined
- He passed away last week
- His family gave him a good religious funeral and continued having deep faith that his god will continue to guide and love him
I see strong parallels in this story to us human relationships. The only exception is that for us, both are humans and, unconditional and altruistic love is just not possible between two persons.
For humans, both parties must put in the effort to give and to support as both parties will go through their own lives and navigate life’s ups and downs - that is what through thick and thin means. And if any one party stop doing that, things will not work out.
Do I make sense?
It’s always hard to hear stories like this. He probably wasn’t even 60?
ReplyDeleteHey Rob,
ReplyDeleteHe was 67. Just retired recently and had big plans to enjoy post-retirement life catching up on things he didn’t managed to do and traveling with his wife. That’s why he was bitter about how things turned out for him.
Jeffrey