Recently, for some reasons, I lost control of my right hand. It started with some pains in my right shoulder that refused to go away. And one evening, after 2 weeks, I started to feel general weakness over my whole right arm. The weakness spreaded to my hand and within a couple of minutes, I couldn't move my last 2 fingers. It was a scary experience. It took a while before the pain wore off and I slowly regained control of my arms and my hands again.
I checked in with my specialist who suspected my cervical spondylosis had worsened and that I might be experiencing the effects of nerve impingement. Had gotten an MRI and a nerve test arranged in the coming weeks. And for now, I've been given medication to sooth my nerves (literally)... a series of Vitamin Bs and Gabapentin. My mum used to take Gabapentin for her pains. And now that I'm taking it, I begin to realize how sleepy it makes me. But I'm not complaining cos it helps me sleep really deeply. Kinda "enjoying" it.
:-)
I had not heard of this drug. It's an anti-epileptic that is also used for nerve pain. Be careful! Drugs are addictive.
ReplyDeleteHi Jeff,
ReplyDeleteThis is a "wonder" meds for pain control. It works for most pts.
Speedy recovery.
regards
kg
@RB: yup, agree about not getting addicted to it. For now, am trusting my doctors prescription and advise. Most important for me is to get my nerve impingement (if confirmed) fixed... thing is, as I am beginning to realize, that my body seemed to falling apart faster than they can mend... process of getting older I guess.
ReplyDeleteJeffrey
@kg: I can see why it’s a “wonder” drug. Did a bit of research and noted that in its early days it was also bought over the counter and abused by many...
ReplyDelete